Families are our biggest blessings! Never static, always changing, young with old and always on the move.
Families may be scattered by distance, but never in heart.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

White-lined Sphinx Hummingbird Moth

Last night at dusk, I found this large moth on our pool deck.  At first I thought it might be dead, but when I nudged it's body it began to move and the wind began whipping it's wings.  I moved it from it's chosen wind shield to our little garden box where it would be more protected from the wind and out of site from our dogs.  As you can see, he has a beautiful striped pattern and just a touch of pink!  It wasn't until I was researching what type of moth it could be that I remembered it's unusual wing fluttering as it climbed from my hands onto the branches of the thyme plant.  Now it all makes sense..he's a White-lined Sphinx Hummingbird Moth from the family Sphingidae.

No comments:

Post a Comment